Conservation and Sustainable Agriculture project in Bajo Mira and Fronterra territory, Colombiawca2014-1714 Maria Paula Navas 1,* and Bunge Environmental Markets 1Environmental Markets, Bunge, Bogota, Colombia
Abstract Content: Objective: To integrate the local afro-Colombian communities with a multinational corporation in order to implement a conservation project of 46,000 hectares of forest, adopting agroforestry practices and providing resilience to climate change.
1. Strengthen local agriculture and foster growth of local economy mainly through the implementation of shade-grown cocoa.
2. Build a business case, which integrates local communities to a multinational value chain while providing both parties with sustainable growth.
3. Provide training on other agroforestry practices in order to diversify their activities
4. Monitor the changes in crops, while maintaining a reservoir of varieties that will be resilient to climate change
1. 1. Support was provided in shifting to sustainable-cocoa from palm oil, which was attacked by a disease due to increase humidity and change in rainfall regimes.
2. 2. Strengthening of existing cacao practices and logistic optimization by developing a more professional way of harvesting cacao as follows:
– A nursery of cacao available to the community with the best varieties was built.
– A centralized facility for cacao collection, drying (industrial oven) and fermenting was constructed so that homogenous and international quality standards could be obtained.
1. 3. Strengthening of agroforestry practices as a mean to conservation and adaptation.
– Continue to strengthen cocoa plantation and others (i.e.acai), so that it can be integrated in an international value chain.
– Improve hybrids of cocoa so that they thrive under prevailing climatic conditions.
– Support fair-trade certification in order to access more specialized markets.
– Broaden the development of sustainable extraction of other non-timber forest products (i.e. coconut, fibers, exotic fruits, etc.)
1. 4. Conservation and Climate Change adaptation:
Implement conservation strategies, such as biological corridors and restoration of mangroves.
1. 5. Capacity building
Establishment of capacity building programs on cacao, agroforestry, and climate change, among others.